100 Series Youth Project Ideas
Mixed Media Paper
Project Full Image
- Trim a sheet of Strathmore® Mixed Media paper to 6" x 9" size.
- Draw a seahorse shape on the paper, following the steps in the diagram.
- Trace all lines with a black permanent marker.
- Place a piece of plastic needlepoint mesh (the type found in craft stores), over the drawing, then color the seahorse with crayons. The mesh allows you to create texture in the seahorse.
- Brush blue watercolor paint around the seahorse to cover the entire paper.
- After the paint has dried, add bubbles to the background using white crayons.
- Use oil pastels to color a bubble frame on a 9" x 12" sheet of black construction paper.
- Center and glue your painting to the black paper.
- If necessary, press the art under a heavy book for a day to flatten out any wrinkles.
• mixed media paper
• plastic needlepoint mesh
• permanent black marker
• watercolor paint
• black construction paper
• oil pastels
7 and up