100 Series Youth Project Ideas
Project Full Image
Hatching is an artistic technique used to create tonal effects by drawing closely spaced parallel lines. A simple landscape drawing is a good place to practice this kind of shading.
- Divide your 12" x 12" Strathmore® Sketchbook page into four quadrants using a pencil and ruler, so you can practice the hatching technique several times on one sheet.
- Draw the outline of a house in one of the quadrants of sketch paper.
- Add horizon lines and a curved road narrowing in the distance.
- With the outline complete, add hatching to the house with lines following each contour.
- Fill the landscape and sky, changing the direction of the lines to give contrast to each element.
- Repeat to see how your technique improves as you practice.
9 and up