100 Series Youth Project Ideas
Smooth Bright Construction Paper
Project Full Image
- Choose one sheet of Strathmore® Smooth Bright Construction Paper for the background “warp”, the term for the parallel lines in a weaving.
- Have an adult cut an even number of parallel lines the long way from top to bottom, 3/4" apart from each other, leaving the top and bottom edge intact. This is most easily done with an x-acto knife and ruler.
- Then cut varied heights of 8.5" wide strips of paper for the “weft”, the lines that go across in a weaving. Three heights or more will offer lots of variety to work with.
- Starting at one end, weave a strip over and under the ruler cuts from left to right.
- Weave the next paper strip in the same manner, with the over and under weaving opposite to the first strip.
- Space each strip close together as you advance and repeat until the area is filled.
- To add an extra bit of color, go back to the widest strips and add another skinny strip on top. It adds more visual interest to the artwork.
- When finished, tape down all the paper on the back side to secure the ends.
• smooth bright construction paper
• x-acto knife or scissors
• pencil if you're using scissors
• adhesive tape
7 and up