Free Pastel Tutorials!
Join us on Monday, May 1 for the start of our FREE Pastel Art Workshop with Instructor Amy Pearce Stone!
Through free video lessons that you can view in our virtual classroom on the workshop website, Amy will guide you through 4 full-length tutorials where you'll complete projects using soft pastels and oil pastels. Here's the schedule:
Week 1: Released at 9:00am CST on Monday, May 1, 2017
Abstract Line & Circle Composition and Value Blending with Oil Pastels
Week 2: Release at 9:00am CST on Monday, May 8, 2017
Whimsical Owl in Oil Pastels
Week 3: Released at 9:00am CST on Monday, May 15, 2017
Mountain Sunset in Soft Pastels
Week 4: Released at 9:00am CST on Monday, May 22, 2017
Simple Portrait in Soft Pastels
Each lesson will incorporate a number of techniques, tips, and tricks of using both oil and soft pastels. Amy will cover composition, drawing, value, blending, creative texturing, simplicity versus complexity, confidence and perseverance. Whether you are a seasoned pastel artist or are picking up pastels for the first time, you are sure to enjoy these lessons and find inspiration and encouragement in your own creative process.
After each video lesson is released, it will stay on the workshop site for viewing anytime through December 31, 2017. You can watch and re-watch the videos at your own pace as many times as you'd like for the remainder of the year.
There's also a discussion forum where Amy will be answering your questions about the lessons throughout the month of May.
Here is the supply list needed to complete all 4 lessons:
- Strathmore 400 Series Artagain Black paper, 60lb (160 gsm)
- Strathmore 400 Series Pastel Paper, 80lb (118 gsm)
- High quality oil pastels (instructor uses Van Gogh Oil Pastels)
- High quality soft pastels (instructor uses Unison Colour Soft Pastels)
- Graphite pencil
- Ruler (or something to trace straight lines with)
- Oil Pastel Fixative (finishing sealing spray)
- At least 3 round objects to trace (IE: bowl, masking tape, paper towel roll, etc.)
- Blending stick
- Water for washing fingers
- Tissue/cloth to clean fingers
- Drinking water