Urban Sketching Online Workshop
Alphonso Dunn's Urban Sketching Essentials Online Workshop kicked off on May 6!
Alphonso put this 4-part workshop together for us to demonstrate his best tips and techniques for drawing on-location and capturing the world around you.
A number of recommended paper types will work well for this workshop depending on whether or not you plan to add watercolor to your pen & ink sketches:
- Strathmore 300 Series Bristol Smooth (for pen & ink work only) OR
- Strathmore 500 Series Bristol Plate - more expensive, 100% cotton (for pen & ink work only)
- Strathmore 300 Series Watercolor Paper, 140lb / 300gsm (for adding watercolor to your pen & ink work)
- Strathmore Watercolor Travel Series Journals (optional, but great sizes and formats for Urban Sketching with watercolor)
- Strathmore 400 Series Mixed Media Paper, 184lb / 300gsm) (for adding watercolor to your pen & ink work)
- Lyra Graphite Pencils (H, HB, or B)
- Sakura Pigma Micron 005 & 03
- Daler-Rowney Aquafine, 24 color travel set (or something to give you a range of standard colors + a few earth tones)
► Lesson 1, May 6: Introduction and Basics
- Review common materials and supplies.
- Explore fundamental drawing mechanics and techniques.
- Explore useful drawing techniques that help to remove the intimidation associated with direct ink drawing and enable us to handle the medium with confidence.
- Learn simple tips on color mixing and basic color theory, and creating your own basic watercolor palette.
► Lesson 2, May 13: Approaching the Scene
- Learn simple ways to simplify the world around you, while still capturing what you see and creatively expressing yourself.
- Breakdown scenes to simple flat shapes, as a way of reducing the busyness of scenes and making the composition of your drawings much easier.
- Explore a variety of ways to crop the scene and frame your drawing.
- Review some linear perspective basics that can be useful in urban sketching.
- Review the invaluable practice of thumbnail sketching.
► Lesson 3, May 20: Directing the Viewer
- Utilize emphasis techniques to direct the viewer’s attention.
- Explore ways of using contrast to create visual interest.
- Learn useful tips on drawing specific subjects such as, trees, buildings, vehicles, people, etc.
► Lesson 4, May 20: Demo & Practice
- • Discussion and step-by-step walk-through of the process in creating a sketch applying what we learned.
We hope you enjoy learning with us and we can't wait to see what you make!